Thursday, March 7, 2013

I've been at it again! Suped up Broccoli Cheddar Muffins

The title of this post says it all. I really have been at it again. I know I've been off for a while. The holidays happened. Then all of us were sick for what seemed like forever. Then, just when I thought we were all getting better, the baby had an allergic reaction that landed us in the ER and on steroids for 2 weeks. Anyway, we're here now and on the mend. It's good to be back!

The Recipe:
Broccoli Cheddar muffins.
The recipe I started with can be found on cheese.food.com.
As per my usual modus operandi, I did not specifically follow the recipe, but only the general idea.

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8 ounce) package corn muffin mix
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
1/2 cup chopped scallion (optional) *I omitted


Directions:
In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer until light colored.
Add butter and cheese and mix on low.
Add muffin mix, broccoli and scallions and mix at low speed for another minute.
Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray; divide batter among muffin cups.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes until light golden brown.
Cool on a rack before turning muffins out of pan.

serves 12
Modifications: 
*1/2 cup butter substituted with non-fat plain greek yogurt (1:1)
*8 oz corn muffin mix subbed with 6 oz mix and about 2 TBS whole wheat flour
*10 oz pkg frozen broccoli subbed with who knows how much? I had a 16 oz pkg on hand and didn't use all of it. I think it was close to 10 oz, maybe more. probably more.
*I also added about a cup of ham.
*I chopped up the ham and broccoli super fine so the baby would be able to eat these without too much help.
*I baked them for a little over 20 min on 375, till they were golden brown on top.

The verdict:
The texture was moist, but not gooey, and they were more filling than I expected. The kids tolerated them. It *is* broccoli, after all. I will definitely add these to my repertoire.

Bonus: They are pretty darn healthy (compared to the original) so I didn't feel guilty eating 3 in one sitting. :)
They look pretty yummy, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment